Easy way to create a binary-only .DEB??

Hi all,
  Here's what i'm trying to do:

* Create a .DEB that contains only 2 simple binaries, plus a couple of
dependencies.  (i'll have another package, tar ball for right now, for the
source code).

Can that be done?  You don't *REQUIRE* the source code to be in the .deb, do
you?  Or is that how it works?

I have done searches on google, debian.org, etc. but have not been able to find
a clear description of how to do this.
All the documentation i can find talks about 2 types of .DEBs: source &
binaries.  They then go into detail about creating a source DEB (using dh_make,
dpkg-buildpackage, etc).  I have also looked at the man pages for several tools
i've seen mentioned.
I did find this: "http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/"; which was very
useful.  But it mainly centers on a complete package build, including source
code.
I tried creating a './debian' directory in the project and creating the required
files (control, changelog, etc) myself, but that didn't seem to work well:

carsnau@wombat:~/DEB/rpmon-1.0$  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
parsechangelog/debian: error: unrecognised line, at changelog line 3
dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package

Is there a web page anyone can point me to which describes a binary-only .deb
creation, or any suggestions/hints/help people can offer?

Thanks very much.

--
Craig.
http://www.wombat.ca               Why? Why not.