Re: Getting Packages Into Debian

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 04:59:23PM +1100, Mitchell Smith wrote:
> Hi list,

Hi, your mailer appears to be seriously broken BTW.  You should wrap lines
at 70 characters or so, certainly no more than 80 :)

> I have packaged a number of packages that aren't currently in the debian
distribution.

> I am in the middle of sending emails off to the authors
of these packages to ask them weather it is ok to distribute the
> Debian
Packaged versions of there software.

> My question to this list is, if I
get the go ahead from the various authors, what is the best way of getting
these packages
> in to Debian?

The best way is to apply to become a debian maintainer.
http://www.debian.org/devel/join

While you are in the NM queue completing all the checks required, you may
wish to look for sponsorship for your packages (again, detailed on that
site).

> Also is there a way I can set up my own
http / ftp site that can be used as a source for apt-get so people can
install the
> unofficial packages?

Yes, look at the apt-ftparchive package.

> The packages I have done are as
follows,.

> * imcom
> * tpop3d
> * vmail-mysql
> * berolist
>
> the imcom
and berolist packages are great and work perfectly out of the box.  The
tpop3d and vmail-mysql packages need some
> work on the debconf scripts but
they require very minor changes to get them working after installation.

It would be useful to put these packages up on an ftpsite somewhere and then
post the location (both the source packages, and the generated debs).  That
way people can take a look at them, and make any required comments.

Cheers,
Stephen