Re: Question about making architecture-independent fonts package

Matt Chisholm (2002-02-15 00:17:42 -0800) :

> I have specified the architecture "any" in the control file, and
> this is the correct choice for fonts.

Ah.  That depends.  Is the package really architecture-independent?
If it is, then the architecture has to be "all".  The "any"
architecture specifies that the binary package can be built on any
architecture, the "all" means that the same (binary) package can be
installed on all architectures.

> Is this a problem? Should I ignore it?

  Only you can decide.  Do you have i386-specific files in the binary
package (the *.deb)?  If yes, then no problem.

> Will users on non-i386 be able to install this package?

  No.  They will have to recompile it on their host architecture (or,
if you upload your source package to Debian, they will have to wait
for an autobuilder to build the appropriate arch-specific package).

  If it were "all", though, they would be able to install and use it
just fine.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas