/etc/ld.so.preload handling in package maintainer scripts?

Hi,

I am currently preparing a package that needs to establish a
pre-loaded library via /etc/ld.so.preload, and I'd like to discuss
ways to do this in a non-destructive way without breaking the system.

This is what I think of:

configure:
- ask user via debconf if she wants to have the library installed to
  /etc/ld.so.preload.

postinst:
- if user allowed us to install:
  grep ^$LIBRARY /etc/ld.so.preload > /dev/null 2>&1 || cat $LIBRARY
>> /etc/ld.so.preload

prerm:
grep -v ^$LIBRARY /etc/ld.so.preload > /etc/ld.so.preload.new && mv
/etc/ld.so.preload.new /etc/ld.so.preload.

Do I have to take extra special precautions? Or is there even a
package available that I could steal debconf code from?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc