shlibs explaination

I need some explanations on how to use correctly shlibs.

I have a package which produces
   libgphoto2.so.0
   libgphoto2_port.so.0

This package also includes a binary which uses these libraries.

After running dh_makeshlibs, I can see in debian/gphoto2/DEBIAN/shlibs
libgphoto2_port 0 gphoto2
libgphoto2 0 gphoto2

In debian/rules, when I do dh_shlibdeps I get the following errors:
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libgphoto2.so.0
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libgphoto2_port.so.0

Isn't dh_shlibdeps aware of the libs provided by the package being
built?

What I've missed ?

Christophe

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
talking about. -- John von Neumann