Re: including full source code in upload

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:03:05PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Christophe,
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:49:49AM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:
> > I'm trying to build a clean gphoto2 package which has been orphaned and
> > that I intend to become a maintener for.
>
> > There are two remaining (known) problems during the package build.
>
> > First I would like to avoid uploading full source but I miss something
> > to generate the diff file.
>
> > I've the upstream original tarball on the base directory :
> >    gphoto-2.0beta3.tar.gz
> > Note that the upstream is 'gphoto' without '2' but the debian package
> > name is 'gphoto2'
> > The source tree is in
> >    gphoto2-2.0beta3/
>
> > But when I build I get
> > dpkg-genchanges: warning: missing Section for source files
> > dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
> > dpkg-buildpackage: full upload; Debian-native package (full source is included)
>
> If it reports as a Debian-native package, you probably need to check how
> the package versions are written in debian/changelog.

I will have a look.

> Incidentally, why is the source package called 'gphoto2'?  I see that
> there is still a 'gphoto' package in Debian; is that not superseded by
> gphoto 2.0?  Are there reasons that someone would need both gphoto and
> gphoto2 installed on their system, or why some people need one and
> others need the other?

No gphoto and gphoto2 are really different and both should be available.
gphoto is a all-in-one package to provide gui access to a digital
camera.
gphoto2 is a library which is used by frontend (gui). A command-line
frontend is included in the package but others are available.

And a few cameras are (and will certainly stay) only supported by
gphoto.

> > Other problem, I got the following message :
> > dh_gencontrol -pgphoto2
> > dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
>
> You probably are missing a call to dh_shlibdeps somewhere above the call
> to dh_gencontrol.

This one is fixed.

Thank you,
Christophe

> Cheers,
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
--Joseph Wood Krutch