Re: dh_strip and -X

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:12:04PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Incidentally, is there a reason that the bytecode version stores
> important information in the sections that are stripped?  It seems to me
> that this is a bug in the package's build sequence or in the compiler.
> Or is it a file format that can't be stripped, which dh_strip is trying
> to act on anyways (which would be a bug in debhelper)?

Ocaml bytecode executable, that are linked in custom mode contains the
virtual machine and in a text section the code to be executed. So if you
strip such an executable you loose the code and you get only the virtual
machine.

So IMO dh_strip should not strip such executables but the only way for
dh_strip to know that is to use "file" or looking into the executable.

Cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro