Re: dh_strip and -X

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 10:23:54AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > How can I strip only "foo.opt" using dh_strip?
>
> The short answer is: you can't.
>
> In dh_strip:
>
>  foreach my $f (@{$dh{EXCLUDE}}) {
>                 return if ($fn=~m/\Q$f\E/);
>  }

I saw it, but I hoped that some test elsewhere in the dh_strip code
permit what I'm trying to do.

> So, don't use dh_strip.  dh_strip is a simple tool for simple
> configurations; if you have one binary you need stripped, and one binary
> you need left alone, and dh_strip doesn't do the trick, call strip
> yourself.
>
> strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note path/to/foo.opt

Yes, this is the obvious solution, but if someone will change the
behaviour of "standard" debian stripping (e.g. add another
--remove-section argument) I have to change my "strip" invocation.
That's it.

BTW, this is a shared problem between all debhelper programs that
support "-X" flag (I think almost all), why does not exists the
possibility to use a list of file that have to be stripped like a
debian/strip file?

TNX, cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863