Re: NSS library dependencies

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:39:43PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> As libnss-ldap can be configured to use SASL (and as a result, pluggable
> modules), I don't think static linking is a very feasible solution.  A
> better question would be, why does the system need nss_ldap loaded at
> time of shutdown?  Any processes still present at the time drives are
> being unmounted should not require NSS to do their job; and in fact, on
> none of the machines where I use nss_ldap have I had problems with
> drives not being unmounted cleanly.

I actually figured out what is causing the errors while unmounting /usr,
(at this point i assume you have ash installed and /bin/sh pointing to
it) it turned out that /etc/init.d/rc is run under /bin/sh, which is
bash by default, and needs the nss libraries for some reason. I was able
to fix the problem by installing ash as /bin/sh.

i don't think i should re-assign the bug (#118607) that started this
discussion as it doesn't refer to this problem but to a different
problem. Also i'm not quite sure if i should file a bug against sysvinit
either, as the bug is not really sysvinit's fault, it's more of a bug in
bash, which is not related to the problem that much..

Thoughts?

Sami

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Notify immediately if you do not receive this message ]-