question about creating own devices

Hi,

I'm currently createing a package which needs a device file in /dev.
This device is only available after applying a kernel patch, so
the standard makedev script doesn't known anything about it.

Rever to the debian policy 11.6 (device files), packages should not
create device files without the makedev script. But the whole package
isn't usable without the device.

So, is it legal to create the device (with the mknod command) after
quering the user via debconf ("should I create the device for you...?")?
And removing it in the postrm script (only if the package is purged)?

I have also included detailed information about this in the
README.Debian file. So the user should known enough about this step.

Any ideas/comments?

Tia
Thorsten

--