Library help needed

        Hi there!

 I am in the position to have to maintain a library package from a
source where the upstream maintainer isn't familar with libtool and
SONAME.  Unfortunately me neither.  I have read through the libtool-doc
info pages about it and read the Library Packaging Guide, but still have
no real clue how to tackle this.  This is my first and only library
package so I am not that familar with handling of these...

 Here is how it goes:  The package in question is metakit.  The upstream
maintainer doesn't add -version-info but lately uses -avoid-version
(with previous source he hasn't used neither one, so the files were
always .so.0.0.0).  I may have made a mistake by adding a -version-info
with a SOVERSION of 1:0:0 for my first upload, but that can't be taken
back now.

 I tried to talk to the upstream maintainer about the problem and he
said he doesn't have a clue about libtool neither.  So, what shall I do?
Shall I increase the SOVERSION for Debian by myself, for afaict each
upstream source _did_ change the interface.  I am quite puzzled, and
there passed some upstream versions by that I wasn't able to upload
because of that yet.  Fortunately the library isn't that intensively
used, but I like to do it right[tm].  And especially I guess the problem
to build the python bindings solved in the later upstream releases, so I
guess it would be nice to have that, too.

 Ah yes.  About splitting the package: It can produce usual c bindings,
and tcl and python bindings.  Shall I do a seperate package for each of
them?  And an additional -doc package?  Or doesn't it hurt if I put them
all into the same package (and the -doc things into the -dev package)?
I like the idea of having specialized packages but on the other hand it
always should be a matter of how small they would get. I dislike having
much small sized packages rather than having some medium sized ones....

 Thank you very much, your sugguestions are appreciated.  It would be
nice to Cc: me on replies because I track the list only through the web
archive.

 So long,
Alfie
--