Re: the developer in me

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:08, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hmm.  Maybe we should have a combined kernel patch package that does all
> > pppoatm drivers.  I've currently got a kernel patch for speedtouch
> > USB-ADSL hardware...
>
> No, i don't think this would be a good solution. pppoatm support is in
> the stock 2.4 and 2.5 kernels, so no patch is needed, and if you go to
> drivers, the speedtouch driver is currently included in the 2.5.x
> kernels, while i don't think this would ever happen for the unicorn
> driver, since it depend on non-free stuff. Also, i guess the release

OK.

> cycle of these drivers is not in sync, so a common driver will not be a
> good idea. Also, i don't think it gains the user much, since he will at
> most have only one ADSL modem. You could do a common meta package or
> whatever it is called which depend on all the drivers though.

The release cycle not being in sync does not matter.  Speedtouch has not
changed in the time I've been maintaining it...

> > I am also using a strange hacked pppd because I have not got around to
> > putting it in the package.
>
> Yes, not nice isn't it ?

Right.

> > > (Notice that there is an open bug about pppoatm support in the ppp
> > > debian package, but i think it is mostly ignored).
> >
> > Sorry, I've been busy.
>
> Mmm, what is the exact maintenerial status of ppp right now ?

For some time Michael has welcomed NMUs of ppp.  Now he has given the package
to me entirely.  So now I am the maintainer.  At some future time Michael may
want the package back and I will be happy to hand it over to him in that
case.

> More seriously, do you think that the 2.4.1.uus package could get the
> pppoatm patches from Matthew applied to it without to much effort ?
> Given that you already backported some of the plugin interface stuff ?

It shouldn't be THAT difficult as long as the patch is against the latest
version.  The problem last time I looked at it was that I could only find an
already-patched version of pppd and I couldn't find the exact version it was
patched against.

> I can do testing and packaging, but i really don't have time to adapt
> the patch myself, also i know nothing about how ppp works internally,
> and i think my time is better spent on things i know something about
> (doing X driver developpment right now).

That's a pity, I think that getting the patch done is the bottleneck here.