Re: pure python and postinst

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:06:55PM -0600, Graham Wilson wrote:

> they are not included because that would just be extra space taken up in
> the .deb file for something which can be generated on the users machine.

No, that is the point of a .deb, to pre-generate and pre-install things for
the user.  I believe the reason they must be generated at install time is
that the bytecode may be incompatible between different patch releases of
python.  So all module packages compile themselves during configuration, and
the python packages compile everything when they are installed or upgraded.

--
 - mdz