Re: pure python and postinst

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 08:17:28PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Howdy,

hello.

> One thing I noticed in the packages (that isn't covered in the policy)
> is the practice of deleting the ".pyc" files in debian/rules, and
> then running "compileall.py" in the postinst.  Would someone comment on
> this?  Is it a requirement -- is it a bug to include the compiled
> python files in the .deb?

they are not included because that would just be extra space taken up in
the .deb file for something which can be generated on the users machine.

also, different versions of python might havent different formats for
the bytecode (.pyc files) and thus the output of the compilation process
would be different depending on what version of python is installed.

is there any reason you want the files installed?

--
gram