ld.so.conf management

How is the /etc/ld.so.conf file managed in Debian? For locally compiled
packages, it is somewhat of a pain to have to add /usr/local/lib/ to the
/etc/ld.so.conf. I would like to file a wishlist bug for the /usr/local/lib/
to be added to ld.so.conf by default. Only problem is I don't know how it is
managed and cannot trace it to a particular package.

wt@braindead:~$ dpkg -S ld.so.cache
dpkg: *ld.so.cache* not found.

and

wt@braindead:~$ dpkg -S ldconfig
libc6: /sbin/ldconfig
libc6: /usr/share/man/man8/ldconfig.8.gz

I am guessing that is probably belongs to libc6, but I just wanted to make
sure.

Warren

--
Treasurer, GOLUM, Inc.