Re: build failures & compiler versions

This one time, at band camp, Steve Langasek said:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:08:53PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > I am maintaining a package that fails to build on alpha, hppa, and
> > s390.  It appears that the problem is that those architectures use
> > gcc/g++-3.0, rather than 2.95, as the default compiler.  The source
> > would need to be modified (not hugely, perhaps) to compile with
> > gcc/g++-3.0.
>
> The default compiler on alpha is still gcc 2.95, to the best of my
> knowledge.  If the autobuilders are using 3.x, this is not reflected
> in the default package layout for the architecture.

This was, admittedly, a guess, as I have no access to the machines.  The
log files all show the same errors, and as I know hppa uses gcc-3.0, I
assumed the others did as well.

> There is another issue, which is that g++ 2.95 is fairly *broken* on
> alphas, and you need to disable optimization by compiling with -O0 to
> get most complex C++ code to compile on that arch.  For further
> information on enabling compile options on an arch-dependent basis,
> see the rules file for unixodbc, for example.

I didn't know you could do this, but that's very helpful.  I will look
into this, if the migration is expected to take some time.

> I believe the g++ migration is now the only thing we're waiting on for
> KDE3.

That was my understanding as well.  Do you know the timeframe that this
is expected to take?

> Various people have stated an intention to make gcc 3.x (for x >= 2)
> the default compiler for sarge.  If upstream already has a new version
> of the package that works with g++ 3.x and KDE3, I wouldn't recommend
> that you spend a lot of time trying to get your current version of the
> package to work with gcc 3.x -- especially since, on alpha at least,
> you *can't* compile Qt-based packages using g++ 3.x.

Hmmm . . . that's problematic.  Do you know if Qt3 and gcc-3.0 will play
nicely on alpha?  I have no experience with architectures other than
i386.  Google, here I come (^8.

> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Thanks,
Steve

--
A list is only as strong as its weakest link.
		-- Don Knuth