build failures & compiler versions

Hello all,

I am maintaining a package that fails to build on alpha, hppa, and s390.
It appears that the problem is that those architectures use gcc/g++-3.0,
rather than 2.95, as the default compiler.  The source would need to be
modified (not hugely, perhaps) to compile with gcc/g++-3.0.

This package also uses the KDE2/Qt2 environment, which I know is due to
be replaced in unstable.  Upstream has written a version that is ported
over to KDE3/Qt3, and I believe, gcc/g++-3.0.

I understand that KDE3 is being held up from moving into sid because of
hold-ups with changing to gcc-3.x.  Am I correct in this?

So now I have, I guess, two questions.  Does anyone know how long it is
expected to be before the new default compiler and KDE3 move into sid?
If it is expected to be relatively shortly, I will concentrate my
efforts on the new version.

The other question is, is this acceptable - that is, can I allow a build
failure on three architectures for a few {weeks,days}, or is that just
deemed too lazy?  My personal feeling is that if the new compiler and
KDE3 aren't due in sid within about two weeks, I should go ahead and try
to deal with the source changes.  This involves a fair amount of
research for me, so I wanted to ask other's opinions before I started
mucking about with it.

TIA,
Steve
--