Re: Some problems with automake/autoconf

This one time, at band camp, Drew Parsons said:
> Why do you have to specify host like that?  The whole point of using
> configure is so you don't have to do that, configure determines it
> automatically, not so?
>
> Drew

I'm sorry, I was less clear than I could have been - I've been banging
on this all day, so why can't everyone read my mind? 8^)

In debian/rules:

# These are used for cross-compiling and for saving the configure script
# from having to guess our platform (since we know it already)
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE   ?= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE  ?= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)

and:

config.status: configure
        dh_testdir
        # Add here commands to configure the package.
        ./configure --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) --build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) \

(all added automatically by dh_make)

I am considering just taking out these lines, as this is clearly what's
passing the wrong string to configure and everything that follows, but I
wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something really stupid that would
break compatibility across $ARCH's - I only have i386 to test on, and
it's really all I'm familiar with.

This one time, at band camp, Eric Dorland said:
> Try updating your config.sub and config.guess from autotools-dev.

clean: configure
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        -rm -f build-stamp
        -$(MAKE) -i distclean
        -test -r /usr/share/misc/config.sub && \
        cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
        -test -r /usr/share/misc/config.guess && \
        cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
        -rm -f config.h config.cache config.status config.log stamp-config
        dh_clean Makefile

Should have taken care of it, right?  This is the first thing run when
it's autobuilt, to make sure that it's building from clean sources.

I'm thinking this may be a bug with dpkg-architecture, or possibly
dh_make (since that's what puts this there in the first place) that
could be worked around by letting configure do the work of figuring out
the $ARCH instead of rules, which really doesn't seem like that much
overhead.  If this seems reasonable, I'll just remove those two lines
and associated references, and see if configure can pick up that $ARCH's
correctly.

Thanks all,
Steve
--