Some problems with automake/autoconf

Hello all,

I am having a problem with one of my packages failing on s390.  It
builds fine on other architectures (except where I messed up with a bad
build-depends on a build-essential).  The problem with s390 is here:

# Add here commands to configure the package.
./configure --host=s390-linux --build=s390-linux \
         --prefix=/usr --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man --exec-prefix=/usr\
         --bindir=\${prefix}/bin --datadir=\${prefix}/share \
         --includedir=\${prefix}/include --libdir=\${prefix}/lib \
         --with-qt-includes=\${prefix}/include/qt \
         --with-qt-libraries=\${prefix}/lib --disable-rpath creating cache
./config.cache

checking host system type... Invalid configuration `s390-linux': machine `s390' not recognized

checking target system type... Invalid configuration `s390-linux': machine `s390' not recognized

checking build system type... Invalid configuration `s390-linux': machine `s390' not recognized

<snip>

updating cache ./config.cache
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed
make: *** [config.status] Error 1

It looked to me like automake/autoconf aren't correctly
parsing the string passed to them by dpkg-architecture (from
debian/rules), so I wrote to my sponsor about it.  He wrote back:

> It seems like an autoconf/automake problem.
> Try in order

> make distclean
> aclocal
> automake
> autoheaders
> autoconf

> to rebuild things with autoconf2.13 and automake1.4.
> See also some past problems about autoconf/automake compatibilities
> on debian-devel

and I have done so, but this just makes the build fail altogether with a
lot of undefined refernces to functions.  This package won't build at
all with autoconf2.52, and so I'm explicitly build-depending on
autoconf2.13.  The complete build-log is at:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=kcdlabel&ver=2.7-1&arch=s390&stamp=1035140946&file=log&as=raw
and source can be downloaded from
http://www.lobefin.net/~steve/debian/pool/main/ - this is the fixed
version that doesn't depend on build-essentials.  If anyone has any
suggestions, I am all ears.  automake is not one of my strengths, and I
would like to sort this out.

Thanks,
Steve

--
BOFH excuse #203:

Write-only-memory subsystem too slow for this machine. Contact your local dealer.