Re: CVS dir in package source

    Brian> Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:
    >>> Also if he finally refuses this, should I repackage
    >>> orig.tar.gz without CVS dirs or should I leave them, as he has
    >>> asked, in order to let also debian people to try his
    >>> "debugging method" (of course after an apt-get source, at
    >>> least...). [...]

    Brian> His "debugging method" may not build the package correctly,
 [...]

Perhaps an alternative suggestion could be told to the upstram author:

put in file foo.c

   const char foo_ident[] = "$Id$";

in file bar.c

   const char bar_ident[] = "$Id$";

in file header.h

#define HEADER_IDENT "$Id$"

and have the main file (or even a specially generated one) doing

void say_version(void) {
   printf("XXX utility release 3.14: detailed version id\n"
	  "header: %s\n"
	  "foo: %s\n"
	  "bar: %s\n"
	  ""\n,
	   HEADER_IDENT,
	   foo_ident,
	   bar_ident);
} /*end of say_version*/

actually, one could even generate the version.c file containing above
function say_version, with additional stuff like build date, build
system version, etc... This is just a matter of a fancy Makefile rule

For what it is worth, I think that one of PRCS (an opensource
version manager, a bit like RCS ou CVS) significant strengths is it
handling of keywords -and also the $Format$ utility- and the fact that
all files are versionned at once.

Sorry for being a little bit off topic.

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net