Re: Build-failures

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 04:16:46PM +0200, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> [2002-10-20 16:00]:

> > Building Dependency Tree...
> > Package libc6 has no available version, but exists in the database.
> > This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> > never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> > of sources.list
> > However the following packages replace it:
> >   libdb2 libdb1-compat
> > E: Package libc6 has no installation candidate
> > apt-get failed.

> > This is on alpha and ia64.  I vaguely remember seeing some problem with
> > using libc6 as a Build-Depend (something like libc6 | libc ?) - I just
> > can't remember, and as I have no access to one of these boxes, I would
> > appreciate a smack with a cluebat, please.

> There's whole thread on debian-devel on that topic. Solution:
> Depends: libc6 | libc

> and for build-depends
> Depends: libc6-dev | libc-dev

These are both dependency lines, not build-depends.  You should *never*
build-depend on libc6, as it is an essential package; nor should you
build-depend on libc6-dev, since it's a build-essential package.  This is
why the package in question is broken on alpha and ia64, where libc is
versioned differently.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer