Re: CVS dir in package source

Guido Trotter <ultrotter@debian.org> writes:

> A while ago my AM told me that CVS directories shouldn't go into package
> source, and to tell upstream please to remove them. I answered that I'll do
> it for the next version of the package: now we are at it, I tried to ask
> upstream, but he replied that CVS dirs were useful to him, because when
> someone reported a bug he uses to tell him something like "please try to
> see if it works in CVS version, upgrade with this command within the
> source".

"Please use cvs -d:bla:/dir login and cvs -d:bla:/dir co module to get
the latest development version and try if it appears there too"

> So I'm here to ask you if he is right and this my be a correct reason,
> or if there is something wrong with this, and what to tell him.

CVS dirs in release tarballs is useless. If he wants everyone to have
that he should make no releases.

> Also if he finally refuses this, should I repackage orig.tar.gz without CVS
> dirs or should I leave them, as he has asked, in order to let also debian
> people to try his "debugging method" (of course after an apt-get source,
> at least...).

I would remove them.

--
begin  OjE-ist-scheisse.txt
bye, Joerg                 Encrypted Mail preferred!