Re: [debhelper style] install target

Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> writes:

[ dh_make sample debian/rules file ]

> As you see, all the dh_install commands are in the binary target, so in fact
> 'install' do not fully install the package.
>
> I think it is better for 'install' to really install, so that
> we can make debian/rules install and look at where the files are put
> so I would rather put the dh_installxxx command in the install rules.

As I see it, the "install" target is completely optional, so you could
do as you please.

Required targets are clean, binary, binary-arch, binary-indep and
build. The policy lists build-arch, build-indep, get-orig-source as
optional targets, and it mentions build-stamp in passing. Any other
targets could in principle do whatever the maintainer wants them to
do, short of being moronic or destructive. The dh_make template is
just a suggestion, in my opinion it is perfectly reasonable to move
the dh_install* to the install target.

Lukas