Debhelper files w/ meta values

Is there a way to specify the following in a Debhelper file (such as
<package>.dirs or <package>.links)?

usr/include/$(SHELLVARIABLE)/foo.h

(Note: it doesn't *have* to be a shell variable; just some form of meta
value that I can control when invoking dh_installdirs or dh_installlinks,
etc).

I could use m4, but it gives me the shivers to think about; is there any
straightforward way to do this other than building the file from an m4
source or such?
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/