RE: debuild error please advise [now clean source tree?]

Since I modified a few files i.e. chmod a+x ... in the source tree i
extracted from the package's .dsc to get the buildpackage working do I
need to run a make clean equivalent or do I use dpkg-buildpackage -D or
some other option to get around this 'unrepresentable changes to source'

this is a comparison check between the two correct?  Or should I just
kill my newly extracted source, re-extract it (now that I have libtool
installed) and start over.

Current error:

dpkg-source -b vpopmail-5.2.1
dpkg-source: building vpopmail using existing vpopmail_5.2.1.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building vpopmail in vpopmail_5.2.1-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to config.guess:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is something else
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to config.sub:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is something else
dpkg-source: building vpopmail in vpopmail_5.2.1-1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source
debuild: fatal error at line 456:
dpkg-buildpackage failed!

Regards, justin