Re: Debian my own software

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:23:15PM +0200, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to make a debian package (and later even make it into the
> Debian distribution) of one of my own (GPL-ed) software.
>
> What are the documents & tools that I must read?  The Debian New
> Maintainers guide suppose that I debianize annother program. But I do
> not want to patch my program (in the sense of making a patch file) but
> to release the next version so that it will be debianisable.

In my personal experience the best thing to do is adding some kind
of switch for autoconf - I use --enable-debian - in order to
make easier the debianization of the program.
Often, the great problem with third-party software is that file
paths are wrong and it's not so easy changing them extensively
in the sources. This is a typical area where a well-written
autoconf script can enable FHS compliant paths, and really help
in writing easy 'rules' files. This is just an example, but I
think the concept is clear: you should avoid to replicate the DD tasks,
but simplify his life.
See for instance my yardradius server, and its autoconf configure file.
Find it in woody/sarge.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine