Re: inclusion of a debian dir in upstream src

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 07:29:21PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 04:34:29PM -0700, Sam Powers wrote:
> > Is it a good idea to keep a debian directory upstream? I have CVS access,
> > so I think it'd make it easier for me, and also for others who want to
> > build custom debs, if the debian files were in CVS.
>
> > If anyone who's gone this route before has any tips, I'd appreciate
> > hearing from them.
>
> If you treat the package as a native package, this ties your hands and
> the hands of your upstream, because Debian-specific changes must then be
> tied to upstream releases.
>
> If you don't treat the package as a native package, having a debian
> directory upstream can be high maintenance, because every time your
> changes to this directory are incorporated upstream, you have to rework
> your Debian diff.gz to account for this.
>
> I generally think having debian/ upstream is more trouble than it's
> worth.  The one package I work on that carries a debian/ directory
> upstream puts it elsewhere, where it doesn't conflict with official
> Debian work.

I keep a debian/ directory in the upstream CVS for TICS, but it never
appears in a release tarball; building is done by making a release tarball
from the CVS, then building a package using that as the 'orig', so that
it generates a suitable .diff.gz file.

It also means that Debian-specific changes do not necessitate a new
release of the 'upstream' tarball; only patches that affect upstream.

The relevant section of the CVS repository can be viewed at:

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tics/tics/debian/

Bugs welcome, file them on Sourceforge (since I have no intention of
bringing this to Debian native until it's reached 1.0 and is actually
useful to someone other than the development team).
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/