Re: Looking for sponsor/criticism

Hi,

Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Ralf Treinen said:
> > On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 01:01:04PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > > I recently packaged up KCDLabel, a very nice GUI CD Label creator.  IT
> > > allows for both image and text manipulation, and I find it nice for
> > > making CD's for friends.  From the description field:
> >
> > In which way is this different from kover:

[...]
> >  Kover is a WYSIWYG CD cover printer. You have the ability to enter
> >  the title, contents, set background colors, enter text, embed images
> >  or stream the title and tracks from CDDB (including CDDB Code 211).
> >  Kover can authenticate through a proxy (Basic, but not Digest) for
> >  accessing CDDB, and make a CDDB request just by entering the CDDB ID
> >  (i.e., no need to have the CD inserted).
[...]
> It's similar, although kcdlabel also allows some playing with text -
> you can bend the text to get different effects, and you can layer text
> over images.  This last is something I'm not sure if kover can do - I've
> not used kover much.  Screenshots are at
> http://kcdlabel.sourceforge.net/
> Thanks for your interest.

I can say that this feature is not in kover 0.8.4.

Upstream has a long time a 2.8.x series with as far as I could see
many improvements, but they require Qt3 and KDE 3, from which the last
one is not in unstable, so I could not investigate what features he
added, and packaging it isn't possible either of course.

Anyway, if I want to realize such effects as you are describing with
kover, I load the image I want to embed with overlayed text in
e.g. GIMP or some other program, and add the text there. This should
not make much more hassle I suppose...

Regards,

Rene

--
  .''`. Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73