Re: Handling application private libs

On Sunday 22 Sep 2002 8:31 pm, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Is there a dependency that you continue to provide the shared
> libraries?  If so then they should be in /usr/lib and should be public
> shared libraries.  Private shared libraries really don't make much
> sense to me.  There are specific uses but not typically.

The usual use of a private shared library is where you have a suite of apps
that have common functionality that are developed by the same upstream. In
this case the shared lib saves disk and memory. Theoretically the API could
be stabilized and the lib made public but often there is not the demand for
this and upstream does not have the will to do it.