Re: Handling application private libs

Devin Carraway <debian@devin.com> [2002-09-22 01:35:32 -0700]:

BTW, I wanted to also say...

> I know of three ways to deal with this one -- add a new path to
> ld.so.conf (yuck),

Blech!  Very yucky taste in mouth.  ;-)

> link with -rpath, or wrap the apps in a script which alters
> $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  None of these are thrilling; I gather that rpath
> is verboten, but haven't found any mention of it in the policy
> manual.

Undesireable for many reasons.  For example I can't use the same
binary for two different installations.

> The wrapper script approach seems the least problematic, but since the
> libs are in the package and the script would hardcode the path it
> doesn't seem inherently any better than -rpath.

The wrapper script is the most palatable of the yucky tasting
solutions.  It allows a postinst script to customize the paths in the
wrapper script without needing to recompile the binary.  Which allows
installation in non-expected locations such as /install_root/usr/ and
things like that.  It also allows some non-compile solutions such as
manual hacking of the script to make problem installations work.  You
should be thinking about non-traditional installations of your
package.

If you can avoid those shared libraries it would be best.  Libraries
should be either shared in /usr/lib or not shared at all.  The halfway
between place is not a mature methodology at this time and contains
many problems.

Bob