Re: Kernel module package depending on kernel-headers.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 05:15:59PM +0200, Bastian Kleineidam wrote:
> Sven,
>
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 05:05:27PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Ideally, i would build depend on kernel-headers-2.4, and have a option
> > that i can pass to debian/rules which would detect what kernel-headers
> > package provide this and set the kernel version accordyingly.
> >
> > Is this a better solution ?
> Why not makeing a unicorn-src package, providing the upstream tarball?

Mmm, i hadn't thought about it, but the upstream tarball compiles just
fine with just the kernel headers.

Is there a good example of such a -src package ? the nvidia-kernel-src
maybe ?

> Its always a major hassle to compile kernel-binaries (or module-binaries)
> for all available platforms/processors. So a source package is the
> preferred way to distribute kernel addons.

Also, it contains a binary only library (which i can ask to be rebuilt
for non-i386 archs if people need it).

My idea was that people would do :

apt-get source unicorn
cd unicorn-0.3.4
edit debian/rules and modify the KERNEL_VERSION variable
dpkg-buildpackage ...

Would that be that bad ?

> > How do other module packages handle this, do someone know at a good such
> > package i could use as example ?
> The current ALSA packages (apt-cache show alsa-source) are doing it
> this way.

Ok, i will look at it ...

Mmm is there not a smaller example to look at ? I only have a slow modem
line.

Thanks for your help.

Friendly,

Sven Luther