Re: Questian about Architecture

Marco Kuhlmann <mk@debian.org> writes:

> * Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers@xs4all.nl> (2002-09-12 13:48:43 +0200):
>
> > Could you tell us why you want prevent free software being
> > ported to certain architectures?
>
> Sorry, perhaps I should reformulate my question: How do I tell
> porters not to try to build a certain package?  (For example,
> when the package does not support 64bit architectures.)

If it doesn't compile on that arches, I'd say: don't bother.
Autobuilders will notice the fact and act accordingly. Maybe you even
get someone to try a port?

If it does compile into a broken program, that's more of a problem.
I'd put in code that it will not compile -- e.g. in C:

#include <limits.h>
#if UINT_MAX != 4294967295
#error FIXME This program assumes 32 bit integers
#endif

This way we won't have unnoticed broken versions. It would be good for
upstream, too, as an owner of a 64bit architecture could start from
the tar.gz as well, of course. (Though we can assume that she will
test the program afterwards ...)

--
Robbe