Qt compiling (newbie)

Hi,
Just installed woody, and experimented with Qt 3.0.3

I did this:
g++ -I$QTDIR/include -o hello hello.cpp -L$QTDIR/lib -lqt
and also this
g++ -I$QTDIR/include -o hello -lqt hello.cpp -L$QTDIR/lib

Compiling process went without error msgs. 'hello' file has been
produced. But this "hello" file is not executable. The message is:
"bash: hello: command not found".

I suspect, this comes from directories which were put in places which
CAN NOT FULLY be recognized by qt (incl qt-designer) with its path
definition QTDIR = /usr/share/qt (in my case).

Another thing, help manual does not work either.

Looking further at the directories:
/usr/share/qt contains
  - /bin
  - /mkspecs
  - /tols
  - /doc (dir link pointing to /usr/share/doc/qt3-doc/doc which is
empty)
  - /include /dir link pointing to /usr/include/qt)
  - /usr/share/man/man3

The Qt Reference Documentation is stored in /usr/share/qt-doc

In /usr/doc the following links are available:
- /qt-designer-doc pointing to /usr/share/doc/qt-designer-doc
- qt3-doc pointing to /usr/share/doc/doc/qt3-doc
- qt3-tools pointing to /usr/share/doc/qt3-tools

My questions are:
1. Is it correct that the above directory structure (which does not
match the path definition) is the source of the failed compilation?
2. How does the 's_t_a_n_d_a_r_d' directory tree look like ?
Any hint, how to solve this problem?

Any help would highly be appreciated.

Regards
Setyo Nugroho