Main, contrib or non-free?

Hi!

I have a question about a program that I am thinking about packaging:
It is a transfer program¹ licened according to GPL, but comes with some
program code that you download to the remote computer. That code is
also GPL, but the program used to compile those sources is not DFSG
free. The remote computer software is available in both source and
binary forms in the packages.

So, my question is, if I did package this, can I place it in main, or
must it go into contrib? Or could I package the main program in main,
and the remote computer routines in contrib? Or could I put those in
main as well (remember, they are themselves GPLed), using the binary
versions?

If I can't use the pre-compiled remote computer binaries, must the
program used to generate them² be packaged? The legality of the modified
version used is questionable, since the original license states that no
modifications are allowed, and the author seems to have disappeared
from the face of the planet, according to the comments in the modified
version.

¹cbmlink, <URL:http://www.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/C2N232/index.html>
²dasm, <URL:http://www.funet.fi/pub/cbm/programming/unix/index.html>
--
\\//
Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.
  Statement concerning unsolicited e-mail according to Swedish law:
  http://www.softwolves.pp.se/peter/reklampost.html