Re: Sponsor request for memtester

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 06:06:58PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Aug 2002, Oliver Kurth wrote:

> > > memtest 2.93.1 is already available in Debian as a part of the sysutils
> > > package.
> >
> > I know. See my ITP, I already discussed this with the author of sysutils.
> >
> > memtester conflicts with sysutils gfor this reason.
>
> Is memtester the same as memtest? If yes, why did you package it at
> alle? If no, why the conflicts?

The package name ist memtester, the executables name is memtest. It is indeed
the same memtest that is in sysutils.

I found, a few weeks ago, an RFP[2] for memtester. I already packaged it for
my own purposes, so I thought I can just as well put it into Debian. Later
I discovered that it is already in sysutils... so I looked at sysutils:

Package: sysutils
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 156
Maintainer: Lonnie Sauter <sauter@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.3.8.5.1
Replaces: bogo, memtest, procinfo
Depends: libncurses5
Conflicts: bogo, memtest, procinfo
Filename: pool/main/s/sysutils/sysutils_1.3.8.5.1_i386.deb
Size: 40152
MD5sum: d09a492c65c3547bae31f81cbf9dcc39
 This is a package incorporating various small utilities which are:
  *  procinfo - Displays system information from /proc (v17).
  *   memtest - Test system memory for errors (v2.93.1).
  *  bogomips - Shows the current bogomips rating without rebooting (v1.2).
  * tofromdos - Converts DOS <-> Unix text files (v1.4).

It is a collection of unrelated utilities. procinfo and bogomips may have
some relation to each other, but the other do not, farthest away is
tofromdos. Moreover, it depends on libncurses, but not for memtest - it
depends in libc6, nothing else.

You cannot find memtest easily, that is why people file RFPs for it, and
that is why I did not find it as well.

To remove my last doubts that it makes sense to make another package, I wrote
my intention to Lonnie Sauter[1], and he agreed. And sysutils is not well main-
tained, see its bug reports. One is related with memtester, and I fixed
that one in my package (#126776).

[1] Lonnie Sauter <sauter@debian.org>, Maintainer of sysutils
[2] which was closed by someone else, reason was sysutils.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
http://zork.net/~nick/srom/