Re: what to do with binary conffiles ?

Goswin> An even better way would be the following:

Goswin> 1. keep the original book.
Goswin> 2. put newly learned stuff into a different file, a book-diff one
Goswin>    could say. This could be in ~/.crafty/ or next to the original book
Goswin>    depending on a debconf question and overridable by the users
Goswin>    config. No need for your grandmaster chessplayer user to ruin
Goswin>    crafty for everyone else.

I am afraid crafty beats non-grandmasters with or without a book :-)
Anyway, from what I remember crafty can only use 1 book during a game,
so your suggestion can't be implemented without modifying the binary.

Goswin> PS: any chance of using the same format as chess for books? Once 30MB
Goswin> should be enough for both.

Unfortunately not - each of the 3 engines I know of in debian
(gnuchess, crafty, phalanx) uses a different format.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087