Libraries and position independent code (-fPIC)

Hi, gurus!

The Debian policy says:

] 11.2 Libraries
]
] All libraries must have a shared version in the lib* package and a
] static version in the lib*-dev package. The shared version must be
] compiled with -fPIC, and the static version must not be. In other
] words, each *.c file will need to be compiled twice.

A package I'm currently debianizing produces both static and shared
library from the same object files (compiled with -fPIC).

I have to either patch the Makefile.in or convince upstream to do that.
I guess the latter would be better, but I must know the reason behind
this policy requirement before I talk to upstream.

I read somewhere that code compiled with -fPIC is a little larger and
slower. Is this the only reson for that policy requirement? If not,
please give me for some information/pointers on that requirement.

thanks

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216