Re: Manpage section

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:17:31PM +0200, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> [...]
>
> I know nothing about pica, but most other programs have configuration
> files documented in section 5 of the manual.
>
> For example procmailrc printcap pop3lite.conf pfilter.conf etc.. all
> lives in man 5
>
> Apparently the 7-th section of the manual is for non-file information
> (e.g. character sets, network protocols, SQL commands...)
> [...]

   Thanks for your quick reply. But, the picalib manpage won't really have
configuration file format descriptions. I mean, they're more like some sort of
"plugins" or pre-cooked functionality. In fact, they're configuration file
snippets to be *included* in the main configuration files.

   As I understand it, section 5 contains file format descriptions. Or I'm
wrong? According to the FHS:

------
The formats for many data files are documented in the section 5. This includes
various include files, program output files, and system files.
[...]
Manual pages that are difficult to classify are designated as being section
7.  The troff and other text processing macro packages are found here.
------

   I suppose one can think of the picalib modules as macros or something, and
that section 8 is not appropriate because picalib is not a command.

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso*demiurgo*org> - http://www.demiurgo.org
No software patents in Europe! - freepatents.org - proinnova.hispalinux.es

   PD: I'm subscribed to the list, you don't have to CC me.