Re: DISAPOINTED - second thought ...

Hi, I was erratic and someone asked me to correct factual mistakes on
the list.  So bare with me.

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:42:36PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:44:11AM +1000, Jason Thomas wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:24:40AM +0000, baz wrote:
> > > Ive just tried to install Woody...............
> > > What a joke!
> > > I was seriously impressed with the install, and the kernel config stuff,
> > > so I reboot.............and...........
> > > 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
> > this is from lilo.
>
> Yep.
>
> > > Debian's a joke? Convince me otherwise!

I have to admit I got ticked by this and over reacted.  He could simply
asked on debian-user@lists.debian.org for this question.  Then I was not
as confrontational.

Besides this mailing list "mentor" is for the prospectus debian
developers and not for new debian users.

> > Why wouldn't you just ask for help nicely, you do realise that woody has
> > not been released yet and fix for your problem could even be added.
>
> I concur.  But I can bet he will have same problem with potato.
>
> > > I got hde/hdg
> >
> > looks like you have some kind of secondary IDE controller that is not
> > supported by the kernel in debian.  We never claimed to support
> > everything.
>
> I thought bf2.4 ot idepci image had hpt366 support ...
>
> Anyway with his attitudes we do not need to help.

This was not nice thing to say. I could have been quiet or asked to read:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
or
  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/
  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

Specifically for "2.1 Supported Hardware":
  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/ch-hardware-req.en.html

You can see description on how to build custom boot disks which fits to
your HW.  (This is not for normal newbie, but this is background of why
I said sarcastically "mean".)

More useful information resides in few chapters later:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html

   `bf2.4'
           This is an experimental flavor which uses a special version of the
           kernel-image-2.4 package. It provides support for newer hardware
           components which is absent in the other (more stable) flavors. It
           supports more USB hardware, USB keyboards/mice, modern IDE
           controllers, some new network cards, and Ext3 and Reiser file
           systems. Compared to the driver set of our main
           kernel-image-2.4.x-yz packages, some non-essential drivers have
           been removed in order to keep the number of needed floppy disks in
           a sane range. If you have unexplainable problems with kernel 2.4,
           you should use other flavors. If you need more new drivers or
           optimisations for your CPU type, feel free to install an
           "official" kernel-image-2.4.x-yz package. This flavor comes with
           one rescue floppy, one root and four driver floppies.

That is what baz was looking for.  For potato, there was:

   `udma66'
           Very similar to `vanilla', except it includes Andre Hedrick's IDE
           patches to support UDMA66 devices.

Both support those hde/hdg controller on board :)

Baz could say "why did not boot screen told me?" if there was no
information on initial boot screen (maybe it did).  It can be considered
a usability issue.

> Seriously Jason Thomas, go visit www.debian.org and poke around.

This was aimed at baz, the original poster, instead of Jason as I said
previously.  Erratic me at its peak.

> Otherwise you are joke.

This is a harsh word I should have avoided.  Excuse me.

> Debian is not a baby sitter for the lusers.  This is spartan, mean, and
> lean OS for the people who care and think.

This does not describe "intent" of distribution nor status of it well,
as someone pointed to me.

With so many packages, Debian is rich.  No doubt about it.  "lean" does
not apply in this sense.

But despite many efforts spend by DD for usability for the new comer to
Debian, administering Debian is demanding.  This is due to the fact
Debian gives complete freedom and flexibility to the system
administrator.  So default system configuration tends to be minimal.  In
this sense, I wrote above statement.  In this context, I still think
this is the current status of Debian.

When one converts from other distros, one may think Debian approach is
somewhat too much.  But when you upgrade, you know how well Debian is
designed.

Oh, it is not a easy to migrate.  That was the reason I wrote a
quick reference style document.  After all, I am an user of Debian who
went though this torture :)  http://qref.sf.net