Re: Configuring APT

This one time, at band camp, santmyer said:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a minimal Debian linux and booted it.
> It seems to boot OK and I can use what has been
> installed.  I think I set up PPP correctly.  When I
> use the pon command, I hear the usual dialup via
> my modem.
>
> Now I want to download some packages from the
> internet.  When I run apt-get I get the error message
> "Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages
> could not resolve http.us.debian.org".
>
> I can't access this site.  Do you know what might be wrong?
> Please help me if you can.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

This sounds more like a DNS problem - have you checked that other things
work?  Try the usual - ping debian.org, etc.  Check your
/etc/resolv.conf after dialing up - it should have some entries placed
there by ppp.  Also try this on debian-user, as you're likely to get a
lot of help from that list.

HTH,
Steve
--
Everything in this book may be wrong.
		-- Messiah's Handbook : Reminders for the Advanced Soul