Re: unversioned shared library

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:13:16PM +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

> I'm maitaining iiwusynth which includes an unversioned shared library.

A shared library without a version number is broken, or else it is not a
shared library (i.e., it is a plugin or such, and only used by one program).

> Upstream author never versioned his dynamic library. What am I supposed to
> do ? What soname should I use for the library ?

If it is truly meant to be shared, then someone needs to take responsibility
for properly versioning it.  This person should be the upstream author.  Ask
them to read the libtool manual's section on versioning, and perhaps parts
of libpkg-guide.

--
 - mdz