Re: RFS: nvrec

Hello again,

I have a general question, that I did find a answer for in the debian
policy guide (don't falme me if I missed it :(( )

Nicolas gave me the advice to exclude all processor optimisations in the
nvrec package, so I added the configure flags
--enable-mmxcheck
--enable-cpucheck

that are set to "no" when I compile the package for the debian archives
(hopefully) and set to "yes" if somebody else compiles it (currently, if
your login is "marc", you have bad luck, but I'll change this to if your
login is "marc" and your hostname is "scorpius" ;) ).

This way, I figure, ylu have the best of both worlds (good episode by
the way): total independence in debian, and when sourcing yourself, you
get a customised binary for your machine.

Only one problem. There seems to be an upstream bug (which I conveyed to
the upstream developer) that breaks the package when compiling without
these optimisations (--enable-mmxcheck=no). Even though I have little
doubt that Justin will look into this, my question is more hypothetical:
what if this is not-fixable upstream? Is this a "deal breaking
condition" for debian compliancy?

--
       greetz, marc

BOFH excuse #18:

excess surge protection
pgp Key ID: 0xD3562DE1
     Key fingerprint = 890C E47F 1589 F240 9CC8  C60C 510A 63D3 D356 2DE1
Linux scorpius 2.4.19-pre4 #1 Tue Apr 2 22:47:06 CEST 2002 i686 unknown