Re: how to package conflicting libraries ?

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:24:39 +0200
Eric Gentilini <eric.gentilini@eleve.emn.fr> wrote:

Hi,

> Considering a given library libfoo, which of another version supporting
> multithreading is available, called libfoo-mt.
> libfoo-mt offers all the functionnalities offered by libfoo and programs
> compiling with libfoo compile with libfoo-mt (binary versions linked with
> libfoo-mt won't run with libfoo and vice-versa).
> Should libfoo-mt be marked as creating a conflict with libfoo ? Or should it
> be sonamed "libfoomt" and depending executables linked with that name ?

I usually don't trust them when they say
libfoo-mt can run all programs which are compiled for libfoo.

I'd suggest changing the soname, and asking the upstream to
do the same.

Discovering unplanned incompatibilities is quite messy.
(c.f. slang-utf8)

regards,
	junichi

--