Re: Is dh_install doesn't rm the files?

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 03:35:01PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > According to the dh_movefiles man page,
> >
> >     dh_install is a much better program that can do everything this
> >     one can, and more'.
> >
> > Yet with dh_install I was only able to cp -a files without the addition
> > of rm them out of their current place.
>
> I didn't check the manpage but I can image this is because policy
> requires targets in debian/rules to be idempotent. If you remove
> files at their original location then a second invocation of this
> target is likely to fail.
>
> -Ralf.

I tried to grep policy.txt for idempotent and found only references to
the maintainer scripts in that context. In addition, removing files in
the install target is likely to remove files from the destinations and
not from where these files were created. Therefore a second invocation
in such cases should not fail.

BTW: dh_installdocs explicitly states that it is not idempotent.
--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t