Re: Looking for a sponsor for Ppower4

Hi,

Sven Luther <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:48:46PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> >
> > I'd be happy to take a look at the package and sponsor the upload.

Thanks !!!

> BTW, on a somewhat related topic, i am planning to maintain a java
> written program also, but am asking myself how this can be done in
> debian, especially since there don't seem to be a complete java suite
> available in main, and even the ones in non-free seem to be quite
> outdated (last time i looked, which is already some time ago).

Let me try to state the way I understand (I am not sure myself) it, so
others may jump in and correct me where I am wrong.

There are .deb's available from Blackdown (www.blackdown.org) at
deb ftp://ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de/pub/Java/Linux/debian/ woody non-free

e.g. j2sdk1.3, which falls into Section: non-free/devel

> Is it ok to upload such a package to contrib, and use the jdk available
> elsewhere, or should i try to build it with java tools available in main
> (it uses swing and threads among other stuff).

The way I read http://people.debian.org/~opal/java/policy.html/
anything which requires a non-free component to either build or run
needs to go into contrib (or non-free).

The way I solved it so far, is a

Depends: java-virtual-machine, java-runtime|java2-runtime|j2re1.3

which works for me, and which I was going to ask my sponsor, if this
was all right ;-). And this meant, right now the package would end up
in contrib. However, ppower4 is supposed to run with kaffe, if this
turns out correct, it could go into main.

I still wonder, how upstream .class files are treated.
Do I need to consider how they were built, or can I rely on the
upstream license?

Cheers,
Matthias