PGP -> GPG question

I'm one of those developers still using a deprecated PGP key to sign my
Debian packages.  I'd like to make the switch to GPG, but I'm not too
sure how.  I first generated a GPG key pair using 'gpa'. The Developer's
corner says:

 There is information on this in the developers' reference. You can get
 some more useful information on signing a GPG key with a PGP key from
 the /usr/share/doc/debian-keyring/README.gz file...

The developers' reference just says to send new keys to
keyring-maint@debian.org and the debian-keyring/README.gz file says:

: Signing your GPG key with your PGP one
: --------------------------------------
:
: If you already have a PGP key, but only now made a GPG key, you must
: sign your GPG key with your PGP one. This can be done as follows:
:
: o If you have a version of gpg older than 1.0.3 (without RSA
:   support) - get the gpg-rsa (or gpg-rsaref, if you live in the US) packages
:   and install them.  Newer versions of GPG have RSA support included, as the
:   RSA patents expired on that date.  You will also need the gpg-idea package
:   regardless of the GPG version in use.
:
: o Find your GPG and PGP key ID's using gpg --list-keys, and pgp -kv
:   Read the gpg and pgp documentation for more information.
:
: o Sign your GPG key with your PGP key:
:         gpg --load-extension rsa --load-extension idea \
:             --secret-keyring ~/.pgp/secring.pgp \
:             --keyring ~/.pgp/pubring.pgp \
:             --keyring ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg \
:             --default-key 'Your PGP ID' --sign-key 'Your GPG ID'
:
:   If your version of GPG already has RSA included, you may omit the
:   --load-extension rsa option.

I used only:

$ gpg --secret-keyring ~/.pgp/secring.pgp \
   --keyring ~/.pgp/pubring.pgp \
   --keyring ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg \
   --default-key 'Peter S. Galbraith' --sign-key 'D2A913A1'

because the '--load-extension rsa --load-extension idea' options failed
for me and the gpg-idea package doesn't exist.

I got:

: pub  1024R/D2A913A1  created: 1998-10-07 expires: never      trust: -/u
: (1)  Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
: (2). Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
:
: Really sign all user IDs? yes
:
: pub  1024R/D2A913A1  created: 1998-10-07 expires: never      trust: -/u
:              Fingerprint: 97 CE 86 6F F5 79 96 EE  6E 68 81 70 35 FF 79 9E
:
:      Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
:      Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
:
: Are you really sure that you want to sign this key
: with your key: "Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>"

So it seems like it worked.

Questions:

 - what do I do with gpg to see what the new key is really signed by my
   old PGP key?  I would expect to see "D2A913A1" in that output, but I
   don't:

    $ gpg --list-sigs
    /home/rhogee/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
    -------------------------------
    pub  1024D/A6CB024A 2002-05-13 Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
    sig        A6CB024A 2002-05-13  Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
    sub  1024g/92BCB61A 2002-05-13
    sig        A6CB024A 2002-05-13  Peter S. Galbraith <psg@debian.org>

 - What output from gpg do I email keyring-maint@debian.org?
   I presume 'gpg --export psg@debian.org' but that yields a binary
   file.  Is that correct?

 - I presume my PGP signature will continue to work as usual while I
   wait for the GPG key to start working.  No one knows I'm changing
   over to GPG, so I can't see it breaking.  Right?  (I keep reading
   about the nightmare of getting new keys into the keyring).

Thanks,  I feel like a newbie.

Peter