Re: Sendmail Milter Configuration

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 07:45:16PM -0500, Richie Laager wrote:
> I'm attempting to create a package for a Sendmail Milter. This
> requires a line such as the following to be added to
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
> `S=local:/var/run/sendmail/spamass.sock, F=,
> T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

> What is the best way to add this line and rebuild the
> sendmail.cf file? Of course, I also need to know how to remove
> the line when the package is uninstalled. And, if this line is
> ever modified, how could this be handled during a package
> upgrade?

You should speak with the sendmail maintainer to arrive at an agreement
with him; as it is the sendmail package that creates this file, it is
the sendmail maintainer who decides what constitutes "correct" handling
of it.

> On a related note: This will most likely require sendmail to
> be installed and "properly configured". This sounds like
> something that would require a Pre-Depends. However, on every
> reference I've found, Pre-Depends is *very strongly*
> discouraged. What is the correct way to deal with this
> situation?

Though I have heard claims to the contrary, it has always been my
impression that packages are configured in dependency order; that is, if
your package depends on sendmail, the two packages may be unpacked out
of order, but sendmail's postinst script must be called successfully
before your package's postinst script will be.  You are correct that
Pre-Depends: are very strongly discouraged, as careless use of them
can result in dependency loops, and they are rarely actually necessary.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer