Re: dchroot (?) on developer machines

Phil Brooke <philb@soc.plym.ac.uk> writes:

> I could either (a) ask for the dependencies to be installed

You need to do this, regardless.

You can and should use dchroot where it's available, but chances are
you still need to ask to have dependencies installed.

> Ideally, I'd like to do what buildd does, but without uploading a
> possibly broken package first....

Unless you're testing something architecture specific, you're probably
better off testing this locally.  You can use debootstrap to create a
chroot, strip it down to essential+build-essential then running
'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -r<gain root> -B' is about as close as you
can trivially get.  (See also, dev-ref, chapter 8.1)

--
James