dchroot (?) on developer machines

How should I use dchroot on a developer machine?

I'm thinking of the specific problem where I wish to build a package (to
check I've cleared out a bug properly).  The package has dependencies that
are not installed on the machine concerned.

I could either (a) ask for the dependencies to be installed (which strikes
me as rather a lot of work for the admins if everyone did this), or (b) do
something else -- involving dchroot or sbuild?  (Or have I totalled missed
the point here?)  Ideally, I'd like to do what buildd does, but without
uploading a possibly broken package first....

If I've missed some documentation somewhere, please point me to it.

Hope that makes sense,

TIA,

Phil.