Re: no arch debs

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, David H. Askew wrote:

> I am building some unofficial(for now) debs for jedit... and have
> completed building them for the x86 arch .. and I got to thinking of
> something... is it possible to build debs without a dependent arch?

Hi David,

if I understand correctly, all you need to do is set "Architecture: all"
in your debian/control file and then declare a dependency on an
appropriate interpreter.  This is what many Perl-based packages do.  In
this case, I suppose you'll have a dependency on a JVM package.

> ..since jedit is written in java ... its technically platform
> independent ... is it possible to produce debs that will install on any
> platform? and if so .. what should I read?
>
> .. if not ... Is it the infrastructure, by the way its setup via
> porters, that make this impossible .. ?

When you upload, the package won't be built on the other architectures and
will only be stored once in the archive.  The .deb will be something like:

	libmath-currency-perl_0.09-1_all.deb

Don't be alarmed by the fact that the changes files references an
architecture in it's name; this is simply an indication of the platform on
which the package was built.  E.g.:

	libmath-currency-perl_0.09-1_i386.changes

Hope that helps,
tony

  tony@mancill.com     |  An ounce of perception,
http://www.debian.org  |     a pound of obscure...